My sock drawer has a task based navigation

My professional life as a user experience designer is slowly leaking its way into my private life.

I realized this a few weeks ago. I was up at 6.30am fumbling through my drawers, shelves and wardrobe grabbing all the clothes I would need to go for a jog. Sports socks, undies, sports bra, leggings, t-shirt and hoodie – and I was getting frustrated and cranky. You see, all of my socks were in one drawer. My undies in another. My bras and thermals in yet another. My jogging t-shirts and leggings were in the bottom drawer and my runners were on the other side of the room at the bottom of my wardrobe.

If this experience was replicated on a website where I was trying to buy a new thingymebob (you know what that is, right?), it would be the equivalent of visiting a products section to find the product I wanted. Then having to go to an FAQ section to find the shipping and delivery details followed by the contact us page to find an email address to ask a question about the thingymebob. And finally to my web email to send my question.

C-R-A-Z-Y!

I lamented: why can’t everything that I need to go jogging (or buy a thingymebob) be all together? So I’ve re-organised my drawers…I’ve now got a task-based jogging drawer. Now all my jogging t-shirts, leggings, socks, bras, and undies (yep, I’ve got dedicated “jogging” undies) are all together in the one drawer. Now when I get up at 6.30am it’s much easier to fumble through and get my gear on.

3 comments:

Lisa said...

Oh my goodness. I also have an exercise drawer, and a sleeping drawer, with all my jim jams and baggy t-shirts for sleeping. I hadn't even thought about this in terms of me as a usability practitioner! I also have a very task-based kitchen setup too.

ricardo said...

That is fantastic... my room is organised in a task based fashion. The task is called tidy up and I have been avoiding it for 34 years. Is that bad?

Suze Ingram said...

Ricardo! That's appalling! You obviously require the services of an experienced IA ;)